2021 Engineering Residential for BME Students
20 October – 10 November 2021 | 16.45 – 18.00 PM | Online, Virtual Event
The Engineering residential will be online for 2021. Applications for this event are now open. The deadline for students to apply is 9.00am, 24th September, and midnight, 1st October for teachers to complete supporting references.
You can find the registration form at the bottom of the page, please make sure you have read all of the information on this page before applying.
Magdalene College is delighted to announce that applications for this year’s BME Engineering Residential are open, provided in collaboration with the Department for Engineering.
The Residential is a fantastic opportunity for students who would like to learn more about studying engineering at university. The programme will run over four weeks, and will consist of a mixture of live sessions and independent work, including:
- Live academic sessions to expose attendees to the different types of engineering they could engage with.
- Independent project work to put the theory into action, ranging from aerodynamics to control systems.
- Admissions workshops introducing students to higher education, and advice on how to best prepare to apply.
The residential will take place over Zoom Meeting, with live sessions from 16.45 – 18.00 over 4 weeks, commencing the 20th October.
We would also like to invite attendees to spend a night at Magdalene to experience student life. This will provisionally take place in the Easter holidays of 2022, with dates to be confirmed, subject to COVID-19 restrictions in place at the time.
How much does it cost?
The Magdalene residential is free to attend.
Am I eligible to apply?
Applications are open to any state school student in Year 12 in the UK or the Isle of Man. Applicants must identify as BME, and must be taking both Maths and Physics at A Level (or equivalent).
Applicants must also provide contact details for a teacher to supply an academic reference. We strongly recommend that you discuss applying with a teacher before submitting your application.
There are a maximum of 20 spaces available for this event. We will prioritise applicants who meet the following criteria, in order of precedence:
- Are in care or care-experienced
- Are eligible for free school meals, or have been eligible at any point in the last 6 years
- Identify as part of an under-represented ethnic group, with priority given to:
- Black African and Caribbean
- Pakistani and Bangladeshi
- Have experienced disruption in their education such as:
- Medical/health issues (including mental health), particularly those that have resulted in long or extended periods of absence (over 8 weeks) from school in the last 6 years
- Bereavement of a close family member (e.g. parent/carer) in the last 6 years
- Being a young carer
- Becoming a parent
- Being an asylum seeker or refugee
- Becoming estranged from close family members (e.g. parents/carers)
- Moving schools two or more times in the last 6 years
- Attend a school with fewer than 3 students progressing to Oxford or Cambridge in the last 3 years
- Would be the first in their immediate family to attend university
- Are resident in areas with relatively low participation in higher education (using POLAR4) or in areas with less advantaged socioeconomic characteristics (using IMD)
- Attend a school in one of Magdalene College’s Link Areas (Ceredigion, Merseyside, North Wales and the Isle of Man)
How do I apply?
Applicants can apply via the registration form at the link below.BME Engineering Residential Application >>
Successful applicants will be notified via email in early October 2021.
Applications for the residential (whether successful or not) will have no influence on the outcome of a future application to the University of Cambridge.
If you have any questions regarding the residential, please contact the Schools Liaison Officer, Tess Leyland, at firstname.lastname@example.org.