Access and Outreach
Both the University of Cambridge and the individual colleges run a number of initiatives to assist students from schools without extensive experience of sending applicants to research-intensive universities like Cambridge.
During the COVID-19 pandemic
Due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19 and in accordance to advice from Public Health England, we have cancelled all in person access and outreach events for the rest of 2020.
Throughout this time the College and the wider University are still committed to encouraging young people with the academic potential and enthusiasm to succeed at university to apply regardless of school or background.
The following resources have been prepared for students and teachers and we will keep this page updated as more resources are created. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
We also have a list of further resources for those in our Link Areas (Merseyside and North Wales) which you can request via firstname.lastname@example.org
- The University of Cambridge YouTube Channel - including videos about many aspects of life at Cambridge, from the interview process to the first 48 hours of life at Cambridge.
- Sidney Sussex YouTube Channel - Discover more about applying to university and the undergraduate admissions process with these four videos from our former SLO, Sandy Mill.
- Teachers' and Advisers' Conference Webinar Series - To support Teachers and Advisers in their roles as they help prepare their students for applications to Cambridge, the University will be running four sessions throughout the first two weeks in July 2020.
- Careers and HE online sessions from Peterhouse - prepared by our colleagues at Peterhouse, these resources are available on request to any UK state school, regardless of Link Area affiliation.
- Resources made available due to COVID-19 - A collection of academic resources with open access currently. Mainly targeted at higher levels (A Level/University level).
- www.applytocambridge.com - the University's Alternative Prospectus, written by the students. It contains a student perspective on each course and college.
- Ask-A-Student - run by CUSU (Cambridge University Students Union). You can send a message to the page and it will be passed on to a current Cambridge Student, who will respond to you.
- InsideUni - A student-led project with application advice from Cambridge students.
- HE+ is an access initiative run by the University. You’ll find online resources for a variety of subjects as well as useful additional reading and information for people interested in applying.
- Oxford & Cambridge Collaborative Outreach Network - Events and resources from the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford.
- Super-curricular suggestions - Learn more about the subjects offered at the University of Cambridge: a selection of suggested reading lists and resources from departmental and College websites, other universities and sources on the internet.
- Webinar archive - including Q&A sessions with current students, admissions Q&A and making competitive applications.
Visits to schools
Magdalene's Schools Liaison Officer visits maintained schools in our Link areas of Merseyside and North Wales and Ceredigion to run talks and workshops for Y10-13 students. Teachers can find out here how to arrange a visit.
Visits to Cambridge
Magdalene frequently hosts visiting school groups, with priority going to schools in our link areas of Merseyside and North and West Wales. Visits can be a general introduction to Cambridge or specific to a certain subject group.
Application Support Programme for BME Students in STEM
Magdalene College and Target Oxbridge are proud to announce a programme of webinars in the autumn of 2020 to encourage and support applicants from Black and Minority Ethnic backgrounds interested in STEM subjects. The programme is aimed at students in Years 11-13, especially those who are preparing...
BME Engineering Residential
We will be running an Engineering residential for Year 12 state school students who identify themselves as BME (Black and Minority Ethnic), in August 2019. The residential is a fantastic opportunity to experience living and studying at a top university.
Each year Magdalene hosts our free residential for state school students in our link areas of North and West Wales and Merseyside. The residential is for high-achieving Year 12 students who would like to find out more about studying at university.
Student Outreach Initiatives
Magdalene’s undergraduate students (known as the JCR) play an active role in Outreach initiatives. Everyone who studies here is keen to encourage prospective applicants to visit and apply to Magdalene.
Would you like to visit Magdalene or attend one of our outreach and access events? Find out what admissions events and activities are coming up. Alternatively, contact the Admissions Office to arrange to visit at another time.
A new online programme for 2020/2 for Year 10 UK-domiciled Black/mixed Black students and Year 12 UK-domiciled Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Arab (BPA)/mixed BPA students to equip students with the information and skills needed to apply to selective universities.