It is important for you to appreciate that the web site provides extensive links to other independent sites, both within the University and elsewhere. This policy applies only to direct accesses to the web site - URLs starting http://www.magd.cam.ac.uk/. You will need to consult the appropriate information on other sites for information on their policies.
In common with most websites, this site automatically logs certain information about every request made of it (see below for more details). This information is used for system administration, for bug tracking, and for producing usage statistics. The logged information may be kept indefinitely.
Relevant subsets of this data may be passed to computer security teams as part of investigations of computer misuse involving this site or other computing equipment in Magdalene College and the University of Cambridge. Data may be passed to the administrators of other computer systems to enable investigation of problems in accessing this site or of system misconfigurations. Data may incidentally be included in information passed to contractors and computer maintenance organisations working for the University, in which case it will be covered by appropriate non-disclosure agreements. Otherwise the logged information is not passed to any third party except if required by law. Summary statistics are extracted from this data and some of these may be made publicly available, but those that are do not include information from which individuals could be identified.
The following data is automatically collected for each request:
- The name or network address of the computer making the request. Note that under some (but not all) circumstances it may be possible to infer from this the identity of the person making the request. Note also that the data recorded may be that of a web proxy rather than that of the originating client
- The username, when known during authenticated (logged in) access to the site
- The date and time of connection
- The HTTP request, which contains the identification of the document requested
- The status code of the request (success or failure etc.)
- The number of data bytes sent in response
- The contents of the HTTP Referrer header supplied by the browser
- The content of the HTTP User-Agent header supplied by the browser
Logging of additional data may be enabled temporarily from time to time for specific purposes.
In addition, the computers on which the web site is hosted keep records of attempts (authorised and unauthorised) to use them for purposes other than access to the web server. This data typically includes:
- the date and time of the attempt,
- the service to which access was attempted,
- the name or network address of the computer making the connection,
- and may include details of what was done or was attempted to be done.
Access to personal data
In accordance with the Access to Information Act you can exercise the right to access any information we hold about you. For the purpose of the UK Data Protection Act 1998, the ‘Data Controller’ for the processing of data collected by this site is Magdalene College, and the point of contact for subject access requests is the College Data Protection Officer (Magdalene College, Magdalene Street, Cambridge CB3 0AG, T 01223 332100, E firstname.lastname@example.org).
The College is also Data Controller in respect of any personal data served as content by this site.
For more information please see the Data Protection Policy page.