British, European and colonial social and cultural history since c. 1500.
Seventeenth-, eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century cultural history, with particular interests in:
- Historical, Communications and Cultural Studies after 1500;
- The history of representations, emotion, humour and cross-cultural relations;
- Hospitality and immigrant and foreign language communities;
- Translation and language learning;
- The cultural history of loss and the relationship between any of the following: material culture, spatial aspects of memory, communications networks, the past in relation to social media and the language of space.