We welcome enquiries relating to the collections. The College Archivist may be contacted by email (email@example.com), by post (The Archivist, Magdalene College, Cambridge, CB3 0AG), or by telephone (01223 332151).
We are currently working on the creation of an online catalogue for the College Archives. In the meantime, researchers are able to access the AC Benson Diaries Index. The diaries may be consulted by prior application and by permission of the College Archivist.
While we are happy to answer enquiries, please note that we are unable to offer a research service and may recommend that you visit us in person.
Enquiries relating to former students or Fellows of Magdalene College
Researchers interested in former students or Fellows of Magdalene College from before 1900 may wish in the first instance to consult A Cambridge Alumni Database (ACAD), which contains biographical details of everyone who has been identified as being academically associated with the University of Cambridge from 1200 to 1900. This database draws on John Venn’s Alumni Cantabrigienses, a biographical list of all known students, graduates and holders of office at the University of Cambridge, from the earliest times to 1751, 4 vols (1922–27).
Enquiries relating to the history of Magdalene College
For the history of Magdalene College, please see the following publications:
- Peter Cunich, David Hoyle, Eamon Duffy, and Ronald Hyam, A History of Magdalene College Cambridge: 14281988 (Cambridge: Magdalene College Publications, 1994)
- Magdalene College, Magdalene Described: a Guide to the Buildings of Magdalene College Cambridge (Cambridge: Magdalene College, 1982).
Donating material to the Archive
New donations are welcomed, although please note that any potential donation is considered against our Collection Policy.
If you have any material relating to Magdalene College that you would like to donate to the Archive, please get in touch with the Archivist to discuss your donation.
The Archivist is particularly interested in the following types of records:
- Material relating to Magdalene College's May Balls.
- Matriculation photographs dating to before 1948.
- Material relating to College Clubs and Societies.