Magdalene employs a diverse range of people, all current job non-academic vacancies at Magdalene are listed on this page.
Application Forms can be found at the bottom of the page. Completed forms should be returned to: HR Secretary, Magdalene College, Cambridge CB3 0AG or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College is seeking to appoint a Personal Assistant to The President. The purpose of the role is to provide secretarial and administrative support to the President, liaising where necessary with other members of staff.
The post holder must be an exceptionally well-organised, pro-active individual who is friendly and approachable, and has excellent attention to detail and organisational skills. The President’s PA must have very high standards of personal integrity and be able to deal with confidential matters completely professionally and discretely.
This is a part-time position, 23 hours per week. Salary £17,448.
Benefits include 25 days holiday (pro rata) per annum, plus bank holidays, and a generous contributory pension scheme after the initial probation period.
Hours: Part-time, 23 hours per week
Salary: Salary £17,448
Closing Date: 10 May 2019, 9am
Interview Date: TBC
Library Summer Internship Programme 2019
The College seeks to appoint an intern in librarianship, who will work alongside staff in the historic Old Library. We are looking for an intern with a demonstrable interest in a Special Collections Librarianship career who is hoping to gain experience in the field prior to a longer-term library role. This is regarded as an early-career opportunity and might suit a recent graduate from an undergraduate librarianship course, a graduate considering a career in librarianship or a junior assistant librarian seeking to gain cataloguing training and experience. Integrity, accuracy and an ability to work both in a team and independently are essential.
The internship will be for 5 weeks consecutively (probably starting early July, though there is some flexibility). The intern will work on the designated summer project for 4 hours per day (normally 9 am to 1 pm) from Monday to Friday; and the intern will be paid at an hourly rate from £9.20 depending on qualifications and experience. In addition, some afternoon work in other areas of the libraries will be expected. The total number of hours will be between 100 and 120 hours (paid), and there will be further unpaid opportunities for the intern to receive training or gain wider experience in addition. College accommodation will be provided free of charge along with lunch in the cafeteria on working days.
Hours: Part-time, 5 weeks, 9am-1pm, Monday to Friday
Salary: £9.20 per hour
Closing Date: 10 May 2019, 5am
Interview Date: Candidates will be notified about whether they are shortlisted as soon as possible after the application deadline, and if selected, offered an interview by telephone or Skype on 16 or 17 May.
If you are interested in applying you are invited to write to Miss Catherine Sutherland, Deputy Librarian (Pepys and Special Collections), with the following:
- a CV, including the names of two referees whom you have asked to send us a letter of recommendation by the deadline;
- a statement of the nature of your interest in the project and any relevant experience;
- a declaration that you have the right to work in the UK (the successful applicant will be required to furnish evidence of this);
- and an indication of any date or dates in the period July-September when you are unavailable (if you wish you can add a note of your preferred dates).
Address: Miss C Sutherland, Deputy Librarian (Pepys and Special Collections), Magdalene College, Cambridge, CB3 0AG
Casual Waiting / Bar / Servery Staff
We are looking for casual staff to act as a waiter / waitress / bar person / servery assistants to assist in serving and maintaining the good order of the main food service areas, in particular, Hall, and other parts of Magdalene College, including the College Bar and Cripps Court.
Experience of working in a food services environment is desirable, but not essential. Great customer service skills, a can-do attitude and flexibility are all required. Applicants must be presentable and have the ability to work well in a team.
This is a casual position and hours are ad hoc and will vary week to week.
To apply please contact Mr Scott Grocott, Head of Buttery on 01223 768577.
Hours: Ad hoc and will vary week to week
Salary: £7.38 - £7.83 per hour
Further Notes for All Applicants
- Application forms received after the closing date will not be submitted for shortlisting.
- Do NOT send a CV with your application form (unless otherwise stated), only fully completed application forms will be submitted for shortlisting.
- You may be required to bring proof of any requested qualifications as detailed in the job description to interview.
- Proof of Right to Work in the UK is required to be shown at the interview stage.
- Please ensure you read the job description carefully and explain in your application how you meet the requirements described.
- Please ensure you complete the application form fully and clearly (typed applications or BLOCK CAPITALS are preferred).
- Completed application forms to be returned to: HR Secretary, Magdalene College, Cambridge CB3 0AG or email@example.com.