Magdalene College Residential 2021
The deadline for students to apply is 9.00 am, Monday 21 June 2021, and midnight, Friday 2 July for teachers to complete supporting references.
You can find the registration form at the bottom of the page, please make sure you have read all of the information on this page before applying.
The Magdalene Residential is a fantastic opportunity for students who would like to find out more about studying at university.
The three day programme will introduce students to the subjects they could be engaging with at university. The programme will feature a range of lectures, interactive workshops and Q & A sessions, including:
- Taster academic sessions to sample the different topics, and teaching styles, students could engage with at university.
- Admissions workshops ranging from drafting a personal statement to preparing for interview.
- Student-led sessions to hear directly from our current undergraduates.
The programme is designed to provide students with the knowledge and tools to make a competitive application to university.
Applicants should be interested in subjects related to Cambridge courses. The residential aims to give an overview of the subject range available to study at the University of Cambridge, and is a great opportunity to investigate a new subject that attendees may not have considered before.
The following subject strands will be available for the 2021 residential:
- Biological Sciences (for those interested in Biology and Psychology)
- Physical Sciences (for those interested in Physics and Engineering)
- Literature Humanities (for those interested in English and History)
- Language Humanities (for those interested in Modern Languages and Classics)
The application will ask for your first and second preference.
The residential will take place over Zoom Webinar and Zoom Meeting. We will be using break out rooms, so please ensure you register with the same email you use to access your Zoom account.
The residential will run over 3 days from 26 – 28 July. Attendees will not be expected to remain on live sessions for the entire duration, and there will be a mix of live and pre-recorded sessions available.
How much does it cost?
The Magdalene residential is free to attend.
Am I eligible to apply?
The University of Cambridge is committed to widening participation to higher education. As part of this work, we would like to work with and support students who may have experienced either educational disadvantage or belong to a group that is statistically less likely to progress to higher education.
Applications are open to any state school student in Year 12 who either lives in, or is studying at, a school in our Link Areas of Merseyside, North Wales, Ceredigion and the Isle of Man. In addition, we have 10 places to offer to Year 12 state school students in the UK from outside our Link Areas.
Students must be on track to achieve the grades required for entrance to the University of Cambridge. Note: entry requirements for Cambridge typically range between A*AA – A*A*A.
Applicants must also provide contact details for a teacher to supply an academic reference. We strongly recommend that you discuss applying with a teacher before submitting your application.
There are a maximum of 60 spaces available for this event. If oversubscribed by applicants who meet the essential criteria, we will prioritise applicants based on the following criteria. The criteria listed below are in order of priority:
- Are in care or care-experienced
- Are eligible for free school meals, or have been eligible at any point in the last 6 years
- Have experienced disruption in their education such as:
- Medical/health issues (including mental health), particularly those that have resulted in long or extended periods of absence (over 8 weeks) from school in the last 6 years
- Bereavement of a close family member (e.g. parent/carer) in the last 6 years
- Being a young carer
- Becoming a parent
- Being an asylum seeker or refugee
- Becoming estranged from close family members (e.g. parents/carers)
- Moving schools two or more times in the last 6 years
- Other (to be specified)
- Attend a school with fewer than 3 students progressing to Oxford or Cambridge in the last 3 years
- Would be the first in their immediate family to attend university
- Are resident in areas with relatively low participation in higher education (using POLAR4) or in areas with less advantaged socioeconomic characteristics (using IMD)
- Attend a school in one of Magdalene College’s Link Areas. Magdalene College’s Link Areas are: Ceredigion, Merseyside, North Wales and the Isle of Man.
How do I apply?
Applicants can apply via the registration form, which can be accessed below.Apply for the Magdalene College Residential 2021 >>
Successful applicants will be notified via email in early July 2021.
Applications for the residential (whether successful or not) will have no influence on the outcome of a future application to the University of Cambridge.
If you have any questions, then don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Schools Liaison Officer, Tess Leyland, at firstname.lastname@example.org