Location and Access Path
Where is the facility located in College?
- The MCR is located within First Court, in F Staircase.
- To access the MCR you will need to follow the path from Magdalene Street Main Entrance/Porters’ Lodge gate. Gate measures 82cm wide when only one gate is in use, the full opening of the gate is 226cm.
- Access may be restricted due to closure of the College- please ring the bell of the Porters’ Lodge if you require access when the gate is closed. There is a bell linked to the Porters’ Lodge approx. 1.71m high or a salto card reader measuring 1.71m high. Entrance gate at Porters’ Lodge/Magdalene Street is very heavy if closed, this pushes inwards.
- There is a step down into First Court adjacent to the Porters’ Lodge measuring 15cm high, or the step can be covered by a ramp measuring 1m wide & 1.05m long.
- Following the path which is paved with slabs – this route will take you under the archway into First Court, following the path straight ahead with First Court C, D & E staircases on the right hand side before reaching First Court F entrance which is adjacent to the Hall/screens entrance. (Path measures at approx. 1.44m wide.)
- The MCR entrance is located within First Court F staircase on the ground floor.
What is the path or pavement condition?
Path is paved, some paving slabs are cracked & loose making them uneven. Cobbles border the path, some of these are loose.
Is the path flat or sloped? Is there a ramp?
Path is mostly flat with a slight slope/camber.
What does this path give access to?
Path gives access to facilities in First Court & through to Second Court - mainly consisting of Fellows & Student accommodation.
Is the access path well-lit?
External access path is not well lit; lighting level is low within entrance.
Outside Access to Main Entrance
What does the entrance consist of?
Entrance way is open, manual door to access MCR on the ground floor.
Are there any stairs to the main entrance, or is it level access?
One step measuring 7cm high at the entrance of First Court F, then the floor is at level height. There is a further step measuring 1cm high at the entrance to the MCR, after step room is at level access on the ground floor.
Are the steps clearly marked? Are there handrails?
No, steps are stone & wooden, and there are no handrails.
If access is via an indoor corridor, what is the width of the corridor? Is it sufficiently wide enough to allow wheelchair users to pass (150cm+)?
No, width of the corridor after staircase entrance is approx. 91cm.
Are there any tight turns?
Turning into the MCR may be tight as the door opens outwards, and due to the layout of the entrance hall the space between the staircase entrance, the stairs & the MCR entrance is limited.
Are there any doors in the corridor?
What is the clear width of the MCR Room door opening?
Door measures at 80cm wide.
If manual, is the door heavy? Does the door open towards or away from you when you are outside?
Door opens outwards into the hallway/entrance, door is not overly heavy.
Is a key card required for access? If so, what is the height of the card reader/lock?
Key card required; height 134cm.
Is there a bell or buzzer?
If the entrance is outdoors, is there any weather protection?
Entrance is undercover.
What are the dimensions of the room?
The room is split into two sections, the tv/lounge section of the room measures at 27.7m² and the kitchenette measures at 13.16m².
Is there step-free access within the room?
One step at entrance into MCR measuring at 1cm high. From there MCR floor is at level height.
Is there ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre? If not, what are the obstacles?
Dependant on layout of the furniture, room is currently very crowded with furniture/miscellaneous items.
Is there a hearing assistance system available?
Induction Loop available.
Are there light controls accessible for visitors? What is the height of any light control switches in the room?
Yes, light switches measure at 138cm high from floor.
Is there any water availability?
Both hot & cold water available from tap. Sink measures at approx. 99cm high.
Does this area play background music?
Dependant on function/use, please note a TV/Projector screen is available for use in room.
Where are the nearest public toilets?
First Court A & C – accessible toilet is located in First Court C staircase – further information available on First Court Toilet guide.
Communal Seating and Equipment
If there is seating available for the visitor, how is this seating used?
Seating is mainly used for social use.
Are there designated spaces for wheelchair users?
There is no assigned designated space; however, space is available for wheelchair users.
Is any of the furniture fixed?
Furniture is not fixed & does move depending on function/use.
Is there clear manoeuvring space between furniture or equipment?
Dependant on furniture layout.
What type of chairs are available? Are these with or without armrests?
There are a mix of chairs ranging from sofas, armchairs & dining chairs, both with & without armrests. The seat levels range from 40cm high to 52cm high.
What are the table heights, from base to the floor?
Table heights vary between 44cm-72cm to the base from the floor.
Is there any other furniture?
Display cabinets & other miscellaneous items.