Location and Access Path
Where is the facility located in College?
- The JCR is located within First Court.
- To access the JCR Room you will need to follow the path from Magdalene Street Main Entrance/Porters’ Lodge Gate. Gate measures 82cm wide when only one gate is in use, the full opening of the gate is 226cm.
- Access may be restricted due to closure of the College- please ring the bell of the Porters’ Lodge if you require access when the gate is closed. There is a bell linked to the Porters’ Lodge approx. 1.71m high or a salto card reader measuring 1.71m high. Entrance gate at Porters’ Lodge/Magdalene Street is very heavy if closed, this pushes inwards.
- There is a step down into First Court adjacent to the Porters’ Lodge measuring 15cm, or the step can be covered by a ramp measuring 1m wide & 1.05m long.
- Following the path which is paved with slabs – this route will take you under the archway into First Court & turning right, past the Porters’ Lodge, towards First Court A & the Parlour. The entrance to the JCR is located in First Court A behind the staircase & to the left of the First Court A Women’s Toilets.
- The JCR entrance is located within First Court A staircase on the ground floor.
What is the path or pavement condition?
Path is paved, some paving slabs are cracked & loose making them uneven. Cobbles border the path, some of these are loose.
Is the path flat or sloped? Is there a ramp?
Path is mostly flat with a slight slope/camber.
What does this path give access to?
Path gives access to facilities in First Court & through to Second Court - mainly consisting of Fellows & Student accommodation.
Is the access path well-lit?
External access path is not well lit; lighting level is low within entrance.
Is there any directional or locational signage for this facility?
No directional signage.
Outside Access to Main Entrance
Are there any stairs to the main entrance, or is it level access?
- JCR Room is on the ground floor, however there is one step at the entrance to the Room (measures 12cm high by 74cm wide.)
- After step room is level access.
If access is via an indoor corridor, what is the width of the corridor?
Width of the corridor measures 86.5cm at the narrowest point.
Is it sufficiently wide enough to allow wheelchair users to pass (150cm+)?
Are there any tight turns?
Yes, the turns to get into the First Court A staircase & JCR entrance are very tight.
Are there any doors in the corridor?
No, First Court A staircase entrance is an open doorway.
What does the room entrance consist of?
Manual door to access JCR Room.
What is the clear width of the door opening?
Door measures at 1.02m wide.
If manual, is the door heavy? Does the door open towards or away from you when you are outside?
Door pushes inwards into the room; door is not overly heavy.
Is a key card required for access?
Key card required. Salto card reader measures at 120cm high.
Is there a bell or buzzer?
If the entrance is outdoors, is there any weather protection?
Entrance is undercover.
What are the dimensions of the room?
Is there step-free access within the room?
One step into JCR measuring at 12cm high by 74cm wide, step & JCR floor are then at level height.
Is there ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre?
Yes, but could be dependent on layout of the furniture.
Is there a hearing assistance system available?
Induction Loop available.
Are there light controls accessible for visitors?
Yes, light switches measure at 146cm high.
Does this area play background music?
Dependant on function/use, please note a TV is available for use in room.
Where are the nearest public toilets?
First Court A & C – accessible toilet is located in First Court C staircase – further information available on First Court Toilet guide.
Communal Seating and Equipment
Is there is seating available for the visitor, and how is this seating used?
Yes, seating is used for social & function use.
Are there designated spaces for wheelchair users?
There is no assigned designated space; however, space is available for wheelchair users.
Is any of the furniture fixed?
Furniture is not fixed & does move depending on function/use.
Is there clear manoeuvring space between furniture or equipment?
Yes, but dependant on furniture layout.
What type of chairs are available?
- Sofas, ends have arm rests.
- Other chairs can be made available.
Is there any other furniture?
Sideboard measures at 69cm high by 122cm wide; TV shelf is 49cm high.