Skip to main content
Making a gift to Magdalene from the EU

Making a gift from the UK

Thank you for choosing to support Magdalene. Every gift, large and small, will make a difference.

There are many ways to make donations to support the College.

Online Giving

Give a one-off gift or set up a regular direct debit.

Make a one off gift Make a regular gift

Gift Aid

If you are a UK taxpayer Gift Aid allows us to claim tax relief on your donation. Every £100 donated through Gift Aid is worth £125 to the College. All you have to do is tick the Gift Aid box on the online giving formdirect debit form or complete our online Gift Aid Declaration Form

Higher and additional rate taxpayers

If you pay tax at the higher or additional rate you can claim the difference between the rate you pay and the basic rate on your donation, either by filing a self-assessment tax return or by asking HMRC to amend your tax code.

For example:
You donate £100 to Magdalene, we will claim Gift Aid to make your donation £125.

  • Higher rate taxpayers pay 40% tax so you can personally claim back £25 (£125 x 20%)
  • Additional rate taxpayers pay 45% tax so you can personally claim back £31.25 (£125 x 25%)

In both cases, the College will receive £125 as a Gift Aided donation.

By Phone

The Alumni and Development Office is able to accept donations by credit card over the phone, all major cards are accepted apart from American Express.

Please call 01223 332104 if you would like to arrange a donation by telephone.

Cheques and Charity Vouchers

Single gifts can be made via a cheque sent to the Alumni and Development Office, made payable to 'Magdalene College'.

For those with CAF or sovereign accounts, a voucher can be sent for us to complete. It is not possible to claim Gift Aid on gifts made via CAF vouchers.

Bank Transfer

If you would like to make a donation by bank transfer please email the Alumni and Development Office or phone on 01223 332104 and we would be happy to provide details on how to make a bank transfer to the College.

Give As You Earn (GAYE) and Payroll Giving

Your employer may operate a Give as You Earn Scheme. Payroll-giving donations are made from your income before deducting tax, this provides you with a saving as you donate before your tax is calculated.

Donating Shares

Donating shares is one of the most tax-effective ways you can support the College. You do not have to pay any capital gains tax on donated shares and you can claim income tax relief by deducting the value of your donation from your total taxable income in the tax year (6 April to 5 April) in which you made the gift.

If would like to donate shares to the College please contact the Director of Development or call +44(0)1223 332104.

Gifts in Kind

If you would like to support the College but would prefer not to do this financially, you might like to consider a gift in kind. Gifts in kind could include donating books to the College Library and hosting of events.

If you have any questions please email the Alumni and Development Office or call +44(0)1223 332104. We are very grateful for your interest and support.