Under-Represented Ethnic Groups in Engineering Residential
Applications are now closed.
The Under-Represented Ethnic Groups in Engineering Residential will be hosted at Magdalene College between 14-16 August 2023. The residential is open to Year 12 students attending a state-maintained school in the UK or the Isle of Man, who self-identify as belonging to an under-represented ethnic group and are interested in studying Engineering at university.
You can find out more about the Engineering course at Cambridge on the Engineering undergraduate course page.
The Under-Represented Ethnic Groups in Engineering Residential is a fantastic opportunity for high-achieving students to find out more about studying Engineering at a top university. During the residential, participants will stay in Magdalene College accommodation; attend taster lectures and participate in practical activities at the Department of Engineering; ask questions of current Cambridge students; learn about the university application process; and gain an insight into living and studying in Cambridge.
The residential is entirely free of charge, including accommodation, food, and all activities. We are also able to fully fund transport costs for all participants.
- Identify as a member of an under-represented ethnic group, including but not limited to Black African and Caribbean, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Arab, Chinese or other Asian background, mixed heritage, Gypsy, Roma or Irish Traveller.
- Be in Year 12 (England, Wales, and Isle of Man); S5 (Scotland); or Year 12 (Northern Ireland) and aged 16 or over by the time of the residential.
- Attend a state-maintained school in the UK or the Isle of Man.
- Be studying Maths and Physics at A Level (or equivalent).
- Have the potential to achieve at least A*AA at A Level or at least 40 points in the IB (with 776 in Higher Level subjects).
- Have achieved a minimum of 5 A or A* grades at GCSE.
- Be interested in studying Engineering at university.
We anticipate that the residential will be over-subscribed and regret that we will not be able to offer a place to every applicant. The outcome of applications for this residential has no influence on any future application to Magdalene College or the University of Cambridge as a whole. We will assess applications based on applicants’ academic ability and potential, alongside factors including any educational disadvantage they have experienced.
Applications are now closed.
Applications should be submitted by 23:59 on 25 May 2023. Applicants will be asked to nominate a current teacher to provide a short reference, which should be submitted by 23:59 on 26 May 2023. Once all the information has been received, we will inform all applicants of the outcome of their application.
If you have any questions regarding the Under-Represented Ethnic Groups in Engineering Residential, please contact Natalie Thompson, Schools Liaison Officer, by emailing email@example.com