Junior Year Abroad
Magdalene considers applications from undergraduate students at other universities who wish to study in Cambridge for an academic year (October - June inclusive). Although called a 'Junior' Year Abroad, you can in fact apply to study here in the second, third, or fourth year of your degree. Magdalene has no special arrangements with particular universities for students to visit for one year, but we are happy to consider individual arrangements with prospective students from any university.
A JYA student will normally join either a year 2 or a year 3 group and are expected to undertake a course of study leading to examinations here in Cambridge at the end of the academic year. The student will not get a Cambridge degree, but will be notified of his/her marks obtained in individual papers, which are reported to their current university and which may give them credit towards their degree.
The exact choice of papers is negotiated by each student along with his/her Director of Studies here at Magdalene. JYA students are eligible for accommodation in College and have all the social privileges of being a Magdalene student including dining arrangements and access to sporting and musical facilities etc.
How to Apply
Candidates for a JYA place should complete the Junior Year Abroad Application Coversheet and send this to the Admissions Tutor with the following information:
- a statement by the candidate of the reason for undertaking a year of study in Cambridge and the course to be pursued (e.g. History, Chemistry, etc.)
- a statement from the candidate's current University approving the application
- a reference from a teacher or university lecturer who knows the candidate's recent academic work well
- a statement from the candidate or his/her sponsor confirming how the fees and costs of maintenance will be met
- a CV giving academic results obtained at university and in the final years of secondary (high) school along with an up to date transcript. Results of Examinations - such as SATs and AP tests, Abitur, IB, French Bacc, Matura, Apolytirion etc - taken at secondary (high) school should be included
- An application fee of £10 is also payable to the College.
We offer two places for JYA students each year. We cannot consider JYA applications for Architecture, Law, Mathematics, Medicine, or Veterinary Medicine. It is not possible to be a visiting student at Magdalene for less than a full academic year.
Potential candidates are advised to make contact with the Admissions Tutor in advance of submitting an application.
How much does it cost?
JYA students pay the University Composition Fee at the overseas rate as well as the College Fee. Please see more about tuition fees and living costs in Cambridge here.
Erasmus+ Exchange Programme
Magdalene also participates in the Erasmus+ Exchange Programme, and usually has three visiting Erasmus students in residence at any one time, two studying Modern and Medieval Languages, and one studying Law. Find out more about how to apply for Erasmus+.